How to Grow Figs

When we moved to our homestead, I was pleased as punch there were fig trees. Of course, I'd never eaten figs before (unless you include Fig Newton cookies), but I was eager to try a new fruit.

Soon, I learned why you never see fresh figs in the grocery store: Truly ripe figs are delicate things that handling and transportation would turn to mush. That makes them quite a precious home grown food, then.

A lot of people are surprised to learn that figs grow in most areas of the United States. And they are easy to care for, too. To learn how you can grow figs, please click here to read my article over at Self-Reliance magazine's website.




1 comment

  1. Love your article on figs. As a child my parents had a fig tree, possibly a dark turkey variety. I loved it, but we never ate the skin. We'd peel them and eat the interior. Eventually, they replaced it with a Lacota fig tree that was lighter in color and one my father preferred, but I didn't. Loved the dark figs from that tree, but even though it was far from the house on our city acre, it attracted flying critters that dad didn't want. I loved those figs and don't think I've had one decades since.

    ReplyDelete